SportsReach Champions Cup results – 9th December

SportsReach Champions Cup results – 9th December

12 Dec

Only two games survived the snowy weather this weekend in the SportsReach Champions Cup First round – second leg, with Longton vs Great Ecc, Accrington vs Wray and Lancaster vs PCM called off due to the snowy conditions. However, Quernmore vs Moorlands and Fulwood vs Loko survived the conditions and the second legs of both fixtures were completed.

Fulwood triumph on penalties

Fulwood 4 – 3 Loko

(7 – 7 on aggregate, Fulwood win 5 – 4 on penalties)

Luke Dean 25, 52, 81 Rick Atkinson snr 41 // Tom Atkinson 6, 26, Adam Edmondson 61

Fulwood and Loko played out an exciting, back and forth game in the second leg of their tie. Loko, leading 4-3 from the first leg, took an early lead in the 6th minute, Tom Atkinson netting for them. However, Fulwood looked to stay in the game and in the 25th minute were able to find a breakthrough with the in form Luke Dean netting to make it 1-1 and 5-4 on aggregate. However, Loko weren’t going to let their aggregate lead slip and Tom Atkinson scored again in the 26th minute to extent their lead. Again however, Fulwood found a way back into the game through Rick Atkinson, scoring in the 41st minute to reduce Loko’s advantage to 1 goal again. At half time it was 2-2 and 6-5 on aggregate in favour of Loko.

In the second half, Fulwood started the stronger and found the goal they needed to bring it level on aggregate and swing the away goals rule into their favour. Luke Dean netted again in the 52nd minute to make it 3-2 to Fulwood, 6 -6 on aggregate now in favour of Fulwood. Game on in this constantly changing match! Loko, however, were the next team to score, Adam Edmondson netting in the 61st minute for Loko, giving them the advantage once again. 3-3 on the day and 7-6 in favour of Loko on aggregate. The final goal of the game as to come in the 81st minute, Luke Dean once again netting for Fulwood to complete his hat trick and take the game to extra time!

Neither side could find the vital goal in extra time to win the tie in 120 minutes and so after a total of 210 minutes facing each other, the winner of the tie was to be decided on penalties. And in this topsy turvy tie, it was Fulwood who was to come out on top, winning 5-4 on penalties. Well done to both teams for providing such a entertaining game and commiserations to Loko for losing on penalties! Not nice to do – but someone has to!

Quernmore win tough battle

Quernmore 2 – 1 Moorlands

(Quernmore win 5-2 on aggregate)

James Rosendale 44, Mark Hutchinson 49 // Chris Dent 63

Quernmomre came out on top in this Champions Cup fixture to win the tie convincingly, winning both legs 3-1 and then 2-1. Quernmore started brightly in the game, the midfield trio of James Rosendale, James Heron and Ste Longton controlling the midfield and winning the midfield battle. It was however, difficult to get much fluid play going, with the pitch quite difficult to play on, very wet¬†below the surface – but frozen on top! However, Quernmore continued to work hard, creating several openings, with Quernmore striker Tom Kelsall coming closest to opening the scoring, hitting the crossbar twice and bringing numerous good saves from the Moorlands goalkeeper. Stand in Quernmore goalkeeper Tom Harrison made a great save midway through the first half, ensuring that Quernmore didn’t find themselves behind. It took until the 44th minute before the first goal of the game came, coming in favour of Quernmore. After a cross was cleared, James Rosendale picked the ball up on the edge of the box, took it past a man before shooting from the edge of the box, the shot hitting the bar and going in, Quernmore further strengthening their grip on the tie. Quernmore, bouyed by the goal, went into half time the happier of the two teams.

Quernmore started very quickly in the second half again, Mark Hutchinson converting a cross from Ahmad Agha, after some great work from him on the edge of the box, turning his defender inside and out! Hutchinson just loves scoring in the cup and against Moorlands – his 3rd goal in 2 games against them! Both teams pressed on, looking for a goal, but it was Quernmore who were on top, attacking many times down either flank and with through balls over the top. Tom Kelsall was again very unfortunate not to find himself on the scoresheet, his shot for 35 yards hitting the bar and going over. Moorlands, looking to catch Quernmore on the break, were awarded a free kick and after some pinball in the box, the ball managed to find its way into the back of the net, Chris Dent claiming the final touch. Both teams continued to work hard until the final whistle, but neither team could find another goal and it finished 2-1 to Quernmore, winning on aggregate 5-2.

Related Posts

SportsReach Football League roundup – 8th, 15th, and 22nd February

SportsReach Football League roundup – 8th, 15th, and 22nd February

Over the last three weeks, 7 games have taken place in the SportsReach Football League and Cup tournament, with some highly entertaining games taking place over the last three weekends. Loko 2 - 0 Quernmore Rodwell 10, Hanmer 30 // 8th February 2020 On this very wet...

SportsReach Football League roundup – 1st February

SportsReach Football League roundup – 1st February

This week, we had two games take place in the SportsReach Football League, one in the cup and one in the league. In Group A of the Cup, Quernmore made the trip to face Wray in the fourth farmers derby of the season. Each game has been a hard fought affair this season,...

SportsReach Football League roundup – 18th January

SportsReach Football League roundup – 18th January

This weekend, we had some of the last games of the group stage of the Champions Cup, as teams jostle to try and ensure they qualify for the semi-finals as well as they possibly could. In Group A, Wray faced Moorlands, whilst in Group B, Great Ecc faced Crossgate and...