21 Nov



There were some big games on paper, this week.  None bigger than the 8pm game between Wray and Crown Lane.  Two teams finding themselves in first and second place after finishing in those same positions last year.  Crown Lane were soon up and running, as Oliver Parkinson played a lovely though ball up to James Rosendale, who calmly finished.  Wray had the majority of possession and were pushing for an equaliser, but just before half time, Sam Hogarth doubled Crown Lanes lead.  Into the second half and Wray were playing the ball up to Martin Huddleston who was laying it off and creating chances for his teammates, but they just couldn’t get that crucial goal.  And it was Crown Lane who scored next, again through James Rosendale.  Wray then got 2 quick goals back, with Steven Wright finishing well.  Wray had been in this position before and knew how to grind out wins in close games, but today wasn’t going to be their day.  Crown Lane broke from a corner and James R completed his hat trick with a left footed shot into the far bottom corner.  Crown Lane scored two more, through Oliver and James before Wray got two back from Martin and Mark Ellershaw.  James R scored his 5th as Crown Lane caught Wray on the counter attack, before Oliver P closed the scoring with the goal of the game, as a ball was floated up to him from Dan Parkinson and he fired home with a big side footed finish.  It was the first time Wray had lost a game since 2016 and makes things really tight at the top of the table.

The other 8pm game was between a very strong and capable Quernmore side and the ever-improving Carnforth, enjoying their best season to date. The game started at a good pace with chances coming at both ends but it was Quernmore the more clinical, racing into a 3-0 lead. Danny Garrett finding the net twice in quick succession including a superb strike in off the post from near the halfway and on the angle. Bruno Bruccelli adding a 3rd to put some real distance between the sides. Carnforth refused to lie down however and quickly replied through Nathan Wintrip from close range after a superb lay off from Damien Kitchen. Kitch quickly added a 2nd carnforth goal to bring them back within one. We had a real contest on our hands now, but on the stroke of half time, the tireless Rob Barker finished beautifully on his right side to go in at the interval two goals to the good. The second half started at a similar pace and within minutes of the re-start, Kitch grabbed his second to make it 4-3.   Moment later John Gorst broke and placed his shot in off the underside of the crossbar. The score 4-4 with 15 mins yet to play. What a game we had on our hands. Unfortunately for Carnforth, they couldn’t maintain the tempo set early in the 2nd half and Robert Barker’s 2nd of the game put Quernmore back in front before the experienced veteran, Mr Dave Lawson popped up on the right side of a Quernmore attack to dispatch his first of the evening and restore his sides 2 goal cushion. Carnforth refused to lie down however and mustered several very good opportunities, only to be thwarted by the brilliance of Dave Airey in the Quernmore goal. With time running out, Danny Garrett sealed a man of the match performance by grabbing his 3rd of the game and ensuring his side took the 3 points. A very good game indeed played in a wonderful spirit from both sides. Quernmore the victors, 7-4.


At 9pm Stephen Harrison spoke to the lads.  Stephen talked about how the news has been dominated over the last 2 years by the Brexit talks and how much uncertainty there is over the future because of it.  In life, Stephen said that as you get older you start thinking about the future more and trying to make plans and yet in this imperfect world nothing is certain and we can so easily be disappointed. The Bible says that when we seek Jesus and follow Him, we can have certainty about both life now and the future. So often we get caught up in our own plans and don’t even consider who Jesus is and how He wants to live in and through us.

In the 9pm games Roeburndale Rascals, who have had a very good start to the season were playing Capernwray Students, arguably enjoying their best season by some distance under the management of new coach, Graham Atkinson. Again the game started at a fast pace with both teams feeling each other out. It looked a very even contest until Matthew Dawson took the game by the scruff of the neck and scored 2 very good goals to give his side a deserved 2-0 lead. Moments later a back pass collected by the keeper resulted in a penalty for The Rascals which James Lawson opted to take. However a wonderful save from the Capernwray keeper kept the score at 2-0. Step up Mr Dawson once more…. his 3rd goal of the game and arguably the goal of the game was a beauty. He collected the ball in his own half and went on a powerful run up field, carefully dribbling the ball past the entire Capernwray team and finishing beautifully in the bottom corner. What an evening he was having and this lad is meant to be a defender! Moments before half time The Rascals were awarded their second penalty of the night which Matthew Dawson opted to take and dispatched firmly into the top corner to make it 4-0 at half time. Capernwray started the 2nd half on the front foot and were determined to make a real contest of the game, and they got their reward when the very impressive David Cloar finished smartly after a lovely touch and turn to make the score 4-1 and give his side a glimmer of home.

The hope grew stronger moments later when Luke Gorst in the rascals goal, stepped outside the area to give Capernwray a real lifeline with a penalty of their own. Sadly for them however, the resulting spot kick was blazed high and wide and the opportunity was gone. To rub salt in the wounds from the resulting goal kick, Luke Gorst found James Lawson perfectly who was allowed time to swivel on the ball and strike a firm shot on his weaker left side, in off the post to make it 5-1. James wasn’t finished there and as the game petered out a little, he grabbed his 2nd of the night to secure his side the 3 points. The score finishing 6-1 to the Rascals but another very good game which hinged on a few crucial moments. Matthew Dawson’s man of the match performance a real difference between the sides on the night.

Ingleton and Lune valley both travelled to Carnforth knowing 3 points was a must to keep there hopes of a top 6 finish alive, with minutes to go before kick of Alan Wadsworth managed to get Thomas Blades signed on just in the knick of time, in fact Thomas was still wearing his work clothes! It was Ingleton who started the better team, but after ten minutes had nothing to show for it but out of nowhere they managed to bundle the ball home and take a deserved lead. Ingleton were in control and their number three still on bonfire night mode, hit an absolute rocket into the top corner. Lune Valley started to get more into the game, but decisions just weren’t going there way with a few shouts for a penalty! But referee Huddleston (who has only given one penalty away in his referring career) wasn’t having any of it! But finally Lune Valley got there break through to make it 2-1. It was Lune Valley who were having all the possession and soon got the equaliser they deserved! Two minutes till the end of the first half Nathan Park smashed the ball home making it 3-2.

Second half started and Ingleton were struggling to deal with Park and Midwinter and out of nowhere it was 6-2. Ingleton had to change things they brought there keeper out and they started to look the better side getting two goals back including a cracker into the top corner from Dave Easterby, to make it 6-4. A come back was looking likely and the next goal would be crucial, but it fell to Lune Valley which killed the game off. With just 1 minute to go Ingleton snatched a consolation goal! Lune valley keep there chance of a top six finish alive.


Thanks for the reports from Sam Dennis, David Whitfield and Martin Huddleston.



Wray 4 – 8 Crown lane

Carnforth 4 – 7 Quernmore

Capernwray 1 – 6 Roeburndale Rascals

Ingleton 5 – 7 Lune Valley Utd

Related Posts

SportsReach 5 Aside League and Mini Tournament 2021/22

Last Wednesday night we finished our mens 5aside league and mini tournament for the 2021-22 season. It was great to have 14 teams involved in the league, with games being played between 7-10pm at Carnforth high school each Wednesday evening. We had different players...

SportsReach 5 Aside

It's great to have our 5 Aside league up and running again after over a year without! We have 8 teams taking part in a shortened season where everyone will play each other once. We had a great first week back with some good football played and a challenging message...

SportsReach 5-a-side league roundup – 12th February

SportsReach 5-a-side league roundup – 12th February

This weeks 5-a-side games were the last games to take place this season, with the majority of this seasons final placings being confirmed last week. One position still to be confirmed was this seasons runners up. Currently Wray held second spot and were three points...