SportsReach football league roundup – 9th March

Football League | Comments Off on SportsReach football league roundup – 9th March

This weekend, we had the second leg ties of all four semi-finals taking place, with a place in the final, at Squires Gate next week on the line. All teams were hopeful and keen to book their place in the final. However, before a ball was kicked, one team was confirmed in the final. Quernmore forfeited the second leg, allowing Wray to take a 10-0 aggregate win, after their 7-0 win in the first leg the other week.

In the second game in the League Cup semi-finals, Moorlands made the short trip up to Carnforth to face Loko, in a tie that was finely balanced at 2-1 to Moorlands from the first leg. Loko made a dream start, going 1-0 up within the first 20 minutes, Brad Rodwell firing home and thus putting themselves in prime position to qualify, due to their away goal. However, 8 minutes later, Moorlands found the all important away goal, through Jack Clipstone. That swung the tie back in Moorlands favour, putting them ahead on aggregate. Both sides kept going at in, in the hope that they could find the next goal in the game, with whoever scoring it having the advantage. It took until the 65th minute for the next goal to be scored, with Moorlands getting a vital second away goal through Michael Orford. This put them ahead on aggregate and on away goals, putting them favourites to reach the final. However, Loko wouldn’t lie down and found the equaliser in the 75th minute, giving them 15 minutes to find two more goals to ensure their progress to the final. However, they couldn’t and it is Moorlands who go through to the final in a weeks time.





In the Champions Cup, the games were finely balanced. Great Ecc held a 5-2 lead over Accrington in their semi-final, and it was expected Great Ecc would see the result through – though you can never count Accrington out! In the other semi final, it was finely balanced at 2-2, with Lancaster holding the two away goals giving them a slight advantage.

Great Ecc were shell shocked in the semi-final, a Jake Schofield hat trick giving Accrington victory and an aggregate win. Great Ecc started the game confident they could see the result through and qualify for another final, but it was not to be. They didn’t get going or play well according to manager Tomkins, and when you have an off day against Accrington, they make you pay! Accrington were 2-0 up within the first half hour of the game, Jake Schofield netting in the 12th and 25th minute. This put Great Ecc right under the cosh and put the aggregate score at 5-4 to Great Ecc. But with the second half remaining, there was still a lot to play for in this game! Accrington found the vital third goal in the 65th minute, taking the aggregate score level, through a penalty calmly dispatched by Schofield. Going into the last 10 minutes, Great Ecc were still qualifying, thanks to their superior away goals, despite the scores being level on aggregagte. This all changed in the 83rd minute. Rob Addison netted for the away side making it 4-0 and 6-5 on aggregate. Cue despair on the Great Ecc side and delirium on the Accrington side – they had completed what seemed to be an almost impossible task and beaten Great Ecc to reach the Champions Cup final. It is fair to say, not many expected Accrington to do that!

In the second semi-final, it was a much closer affair. According to referee Sutton, it was one of the best games he had reffed this season, it going all the way into extra time! Lancaster took the early advantage in the game, scoring in the 25th minute through Johnny Sudell, putting them 3-2 on aggregate, with the away goals. However, minutes later, Fulwood were back level, through Conor Mason. Level again, though Lancaster still holding the away goal advantage. However, again, that was not to last for long as a Lancaster own goal meant that Fulwood went ahead in the tie and found the all important second away goal. Both sides continued to battle it out, hoping to find the all important next goal. If Fulwood scored, it put them two goals ahead in the tie and gave them a third away goal. If Lancaster scored, it put things level again and all to play for! And it was Lancaster who were to score next, in the 71st minute as Dan Sudell netted his second of the game. 4-4 on aggregate, 2 away goals each, all to play for! This took the game into extra time and it took until the 110th minute for the deadlock to be broken, Calum Alexander firing home for Fulwood to give them aggregate and away goals lead. That was the way it stayed as well, breaking Lancaster hearts in the process.